Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Zipporra SS 12/13 Launch

It wasn't hard to spot that Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week took over Sydney last week, but for those who support our local up and coming designers, you'd have heard Zipporra recently launched its Spring/Summer 2012/13 Poison Arrow Collection at District01, a creative space in Darlinghurst, Sydney.

I loved the fact that the launch party had a cool theme, Mad Hatter's Tea Party, but more so that a good cause was attached to it. The collection was launched in collaboration with Cancer Council's Biggest Morning Tea to raise awareness and funds for cancer research, prevention and support.

Walking down the stairs with bubbles floating around me, I found myself stepping into a mini version of Wonderland, where branches, picture frames, Lipton Iced Tea and marshmallows dangled from the ceiling, and a DJ booth was setup in a mini garden that came complete with a cow print lounge and white picket fences. The fashion conscious crowd sipped on sparkling wine and Lipton Iced Tea around a long table full of delicious treats.

The collection featured gorgeous jackets and dresses in vibrant colours, bold prints and hand-dyed silks, all inspired by the Amazon rainforest.

I was lucky enough to get designer Karen Fulton (KF), the talent behind Zipporra, to take some time out of her busy schedule to answer my questions:

Q: When did you know you wanted to be a fashion designer?
KF: I think it all happened when I was a little girl. I have always loved clothes, drawing clothes and shopping of course. My grandmother was incredible, she was so timeless, stylish and always took my breath away. She influenced me greatly and so I think I always knew what I loved doing in life from a young age.

Q: What motivates and inspires you?
KF: So many things inspire me in fashion design. I look at fashion design as an art form, so a great variety of things from the environment to different fabrications. I love what I do and that is what keeps me motivated.

Q: What's a typical day like for you?
KF: Completing orders, working on the new range, PR work, accounting, working my other job at Coles.

Q: What trends do you see being big for 2012/13?
KF: Lots of prints.

Q: How would you describe your own personal style?
KF: Edgy and little bit vintage and quiet street, always in Doc Martin's or connies!

Q: What is your favourite piece of clothing you cannot live without?
KF: My Doc Martin's.

Thanks to Christopher McLaren from A Series of Fortunate Events for the invite and one of the best invitations I've seen! Absolutely adored the "message in a bottle" detail. 

If you are keen to support our local designers then check out the twilight fashion market Bizarre Bazaar that pops up every second month in some of the coolest laneways and hideaways Sydney has to offer. Many beautiful clothes and accessories from a bunch of very talented people are waiting to be discovered by you. Oh and if you are in town, don't miss Bizarre Bazaar's first birthday special event at Angel Place on the 17th of May. 

No comments:

Post a Comment