Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Tuscan Tuesdays @ Hugo's Bar Pizza

It has been a while since I last visited Hugo's Bar Pizza, but I've always loved their "Sunday Sessions". A bunch of friends and half priced pizzas, great way to chill out on a Sunday afternoon. And now Hugo's has given us another reason to drop by, but this time it's during the week - Tuscan Tuesdays, where a glass of wine, starter and main (pizza or pasta) will only set you back $30. That's right people, you heard it right. And we are not talking about some cheap and cheerful food here, as long as I can remember, the food at Hugo's have always been excellent, tonight was no exception.

My friend knew that I could never pass on the opportunity to order a cocktail, as soon as I sat down she pointed out that while waiting for me to arrive she has ordered herself The delicious sour (Applejack, Creme de Peche, freshly squezzed lime juice & sugar, served with a sugar crust rim), a smooth, citrusy blend. Looking for a more fruity drink, I settled on the Notorious Cobbler (muddled citrus fruits mixed with rich fig and blackberry liqueurs, Martell VS, sugar & fresh lemon, served tall over ice) and I was not disappointed. 

Wagyu bresoala
For our Tuscan Tuesdays meal I had the 42˚ South Pinot Noir, its red berry flavours went extremely well with the starter, Wagyu bresoala and artichoke crostini with whipped goats curd, served with toasted crusty bread, which I loved.

When dinning out my preference of pasta tend to be one with tomato based sauce, but tonight I thought I'd go with something different, and it certainly paid off. The Angel hair pasta with rare tuna, chilli, capers, Parmesan, rocket & extra virgin olive oil was delightful. Soft and velvety tuna, piquant and tangy cappers, rich and peppery rocket and just enough chilli to give the dish a hot spicy taste that's well balanced and not at all overpowering.

The Pork belly pizza (slow roasted pork belly with sweet & sour onions and radicchio) was flavourful and the contrast between the sweet and sour onions and the bitter radicchios worked extremely well. No wonder Hugo's has won many Best Pizza awards over the years, just look at the delicious combinations they come up with! 

Pineapple semifreddo
I have always felt that a meal without dessert is just not a complete meal, so if you still have room after all the food, then there is no excuse not to check out the desserts. The Pineapple semifreddo with Italian meringue & ginger infused pineapple was the perfect conclusion to my meal. The ginger infused pineapple caught me off guard, but in a good way. The flavour was intense, sweet, spicy and very savoury. Of course if you love pizza as much as my friend does, then you can't go pass the Chocolate & hazelnut pizza with ricotta, banana, icing sugar & vanilla gelato. 

The night started out pretty quiet, only a few people were around when I walked in, but by the time we left around 10pm, conversations were abuzz, a very decent turn out for a Tuesday night. Causal, relaxed setting paired with attentive and friendly service, Hugo's Bar Pizza is a great place to catch up with friends, be it on the weekends or after work during weekdays. The soft mood lighting in the evening also makes it an ideal place to take your date out for a meal or a few drinks. If nothing else tempts you, the value for money Tuscan Tuesdays should at least please your wallet.


Hugo's Bar Pizza: 33 Bayswater Road, Kings Cross, NSW 2011  Hugos Bar Pizza on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment