Friday, March 16, 2012

Felix - Bistro and Bar

A little slice of Europe has found its way into an alleyway right in the middle of Sydney CBD. Under the Merivale group banner Felix Bistro and Bar, designed as a romantic homage to the classy French brasserie, serves up a classic French inspired menu complete with a long list of French wines.

Occupying the space across from Ash St Cellar, Felix was the perfect late night stop for us after a few rounds of cocktails at the Den. A bar at one end and open kitchen at the other, the large space is elegantly decorated. Tiled floors, walls featuring authentic subway tiles from Paris, ornate bread stations, banquettes, booths, bentwood chairs and fringed table lamps sitting on crispy white tablecloth gave it the perfect finishing touch. The longer I sat at the table, the more I felt like I was back in Paris. And the fact that I was just sitting down for dinner at 9.30pm and being served by friendly and helpful waiters in traditional long aprons reminded me even more of the time I've spent in the city of light.

Felix Bloody Mary
After all the cocktails I drank earlier in the night, I was going to be good and keep my dinner alcohol-free, it was a school night after all. That is, until my friend gave me the drinks menu and pointed out the Felix Bloody Mary (Coriander infused Belvedere vodka served with Felix summer mary mix).

Ever since my Hawaii trip I have been on the hunt for a good Bloody Mary that could match the version created by RumFire in Waikiki, and almost a year later I think I have finally found one. This was THE best Bloody Mary I've had in Sydney so far. I went for the spicy version and got completely hooked on it after the first few sips, I could easily sit there and drink it all night long.

A complimentary basket of freshly sliced bread arrived soon after the Bloody Mary, and I have to say, it came with the softest creamy butter.

Duck Confit
We decided to skip entrée and go straight for the main as it was quite late. There were some classic French dishes on offer, but I went straight for the Duck confit, red grapes, walnut, frisee and radicchio. The meat fell off the bone with the slightest touch from my fork, it was moist and soft, its flavours well balanced by the bittersweetness from the grapes and radicchio. Delightful. My friend had the Grilled pork neck, roasted nectarines, baby spinach, honey and mustard and she loved the way the nectarines complimented the pork.

When it came to dessert time, it didn't take long for us to agree on the Bombe Alaska with lemon curd and berry compote. Sweet and sour, light and soft, perfect finish to a delicious meal.

With impressive walls of wine and a special dish for each day, Felix is definitely worthy checking out. I'm very tempted to head back for the Beef bourguignon, the Plats Du Jour for Thursdays, and their Bloody Mary of course. 

Chefs Lauren Murdoch and Nathan Johnson have certainly done a great job with the menu, a well deserved One Hat from SMH's 2012 GFG

Bon appétit!


Felix: 2 Ash Street, Sydney, NSW 2000  Felix - Bistro and Bar on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment